Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday - studio and the Sex Pistols

Great viewing this afternoon on iview - the film on the Sex Pistols, The Filth and the Fury. Hard to believe it's nearly 40 years since that band got together under the Machiavellian Malcolm McLaren.
When I'm doing work that's not incredibly taxing I keep company with ABC - the radio and when I can work and watch - iview. The realisation that Punk started so long ago is incredible I was 20.
Now watching their story and hearing them on original tape and since as older individuals it's just amazing that they lasted so long. There was a natural split between the 'original' three and Johnny Rotten who then became close to the new 'John' Sid Vicious. The other huge mistrust was between Rotten and the band and McLaren - such a lack of connection there. This is really worth watching if you were around in the mid to late 70's. Still great to watch no matter when you were around because I reckon that punk sound has had a huge influence on music since, and fashion.


Anyway this afternoon I did some drawings to get the images into my head.


 I use oil pastel because it's very direct, very flexible, you can work in layers - I think of oil pastel and dry chalk pastel as pigment first and particular characteristics second. I love soft oil pastel when you work in layers, colour into colour - when it gets muddy then just scrape away the excess.


I like to see the physical movement in the work.


These are just thumbnails but I am dealing with proportions and pattern


Amazing how general these look but all grist for the mill!


 Funny how this one without any strong sense of base is my problem at the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment