Thursday, November 28, 2013

Hallo hallo hallo - before Paris was Tate Britain

Although I have been called a public broadcaster now I feel hesitant about sharing too much information about getting to the other side of the world.
But either I am so impressionable or just a tragic but I find the airports, the flights, the Tube, the Metro and all those little things that make walking down a street in London different to walking down a street in Sydney or Albury or Paris so very fantastic!!!
So maybe life is too short for apologies - this is a no cynicism zone - I am over feeling cynical...too negative.
Air travel, when you are on a big aeroplane strapped in securely and fed every few hours it's just like being a baby again. No responsibility - the trust has to be there. I felt even better on the huge 380 plane from Dubai to London - it's so big and so quiet and so fast - one just doesn't need to know how it all works to feel fine about being on it.
I had two nights with my nephew and his lovely family in London.
On the first day in London I used my borrowed oyster card and got myself to Pimlico and Tate Britain. What blew me away was the adjacent University of the Arts!!!!! A whole institution for the Arts while at home the economic rationalist suits are squeezing the Arts out of Higher Education - no vocational prospects and of course Fine Arts at TAFE was expelled from NSW government funding over 12 months ago. However they must be under threat here as well as there was a protest work near the entrance.

I will find out the history of this beautiful campus.
What other attacks on art?

Fantastic painting studio


You just cannot imagine a greater contrast between these tortured but amazing trees in Pimlico and the bush at home!
 Side view of the Tate Britain. This is at about midday
The wonderful rotunda inside the portico - no photography inside the gallery!

 This is outside the gallery on Millbank at about 4:15pm
Looking across to the Thames
 Upon leaving at 4;15pm
 A shot of the university in the afternoon - all lights blazing
A glowing red telephone box, I wish we still had them at home. This is a great pice of industrial design ca 1930s London?


People have told me how it gets dark early in London coming up to winter well now I believe it - amazing. 
Highlights included the Samuel Palmer tempera works, the tiny Constable oils on black ground, the Hogarth self portrait, the late Turners, the William Dadd Faerie Painting and Walter Sickert.
I'll be returning to see the other rooms, only made it to ca 1910. 

No comments:

Post a Comment