Thursday, November 28, 2013

Musee d'Orsay on an overcast Thursday


The wow factor of this refurbished huge art museum cannot be pooh poohed away. It really is terrific. When I was here in 1982 of course it was still being developed and in 2010 with only a day here we opted for the Pompidou - a great choice. On this visit I have time to explore these incredible art houses.
The walk down to the museum along the river was brisk and lovely - who am I kidding, it was fantastic. On the south side I had terrific views of the Palais Justice then the Pont Neuf beyond the little tip of garden which is the western end of the Ille de Cite. Then you see the extensive, huge Louvre and  the Tuileries. On my side of the river there are very handsome buildings including....

Yes the Palais des Beaux Arts. These edifices are so imposing it's a wonder anyone has the chutzpah to enter! The Institut de France is along here as well.

 I'll have the one with the little blue door
This is the Cafe Campana, the eating space on the 5th level - so groovy, it's just been redesigned. The huge clock faces the Seine, the lights are riveted brass, the room dividers are bright red plastic coated wire - Susie's class would love these..

The huge clock faces the Seine across the road.


On the left side is the kitchen behind a groovy wall of blue glass. My photo is pathetic apologies.




Across the river to the Louvre

 Looking west and up or down? the river


 The amazingly huge stone statues on the top of the museum
 Straight across to Montmartre

 Walking home along Rue Lille. This street is full of the most amazing interior shops one could ever imagine. This larger facade is wonderful, it's a bank today, its date is 1858.


I realise I haven't mentioned the ART. There is a new rule in the museum that prohibits photography. Hmmmn this little obedient Aussie watched as everyone else took photos so next time I go I will try and out do the few images taken above.
But this is such an extensive collection that it takes time to think about it. All I can say is that having taught Cultural Productions I for years and years it's like visiting old friends. Some exquisite surprises include Corot's Woman in a Pink Dress, all the Daumiers - especially the ceramic painted busts of the politicians, everything by Manet, the sumptuous paintwork from some of the Salon stars, the early Monets, all the Bonnards and the Vuillards, the other Nabis, Gustave Moreau - the wildest paintings there, the Odilon Redon pastels, such incredible colour, the Toulouse Lautrec's fresher than fresh paintings, and the early angry Cezannes. Boy oh boy he was an angry young man but his portraits of his wife are very lovingly done. I'll go back. I saw the torso of the old woman by Camille Claudel - this brought tears to my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment