Friday, December 6, 2013

How Did I lose Wednesday?

Somehow, sometimes a girl just wants to stay at home and play on the computer and catch a movie. This is what happened to Wednesday December 4. I sent my brother his birthday greetings and thought a movie would be nice. To listen to a whole conversation in English and get involved in a cinematic story... So I went to Les Halles, bought another 4 day museum pass, checked out all the French takeaway food outlets in Les Halles - 'Bretzels' - pretzels and bagels with any filling from the same shop; Something aux Pommes - any French wonderful pastry and cake combo with apple connected; Creperies - these abound; the ubiquitous Starbucks - but it sells yummy french pastries; a Sushi bar - very expensive; a mexico takeaway also expensive and a pizza place. Apart from Satrbucks the omission of very BIG name fast food is very obvious.
In any case I had my bottle of boiled water, cooled down. So the movie was The Fifth Estate - called something much more exciting in an untranslatable unpronounceable way. It was exciting at the ticket office and after making a complete dill of one's self you can get the message across and use fingers to explain what number film it is you want a ticket to see.
So here is the film about Julian Assange and Wikileaks. Yawn some of you I know - no pictures yet! I was curious as to why Disney's Dreamworks would partially finance a film on this chap and the whole subject. Well once the film heated up it was obvious that it was based on the book by Daniel Berg the German whiz who was a partner of Assange until Bradley Manning's leaked documents turned the whole phenomenon into a global affair embarrassing to the US.
In hindsight we now know that Bradley Manning has been incarcerated for the rest of his/her life. Julian Assange is still in asylum in the Equcadorian Embassy in London.
Benedict Cumberbatch is very good as the white hot focus Assange with a huge ego (compensating) and a bit of a social dickhead. The bearded chap who played the wet Danial Berg was wet and really the trite lines of offense against Assange were pretty well ... trite.
It was frustrating for me to sit through it in a French theatre - I was giggling a few times in complete silence and at the end when I offered a bit of a tirade to the chap next to me (the theatres are small and very packed) he had absolutely no idea what I was saying. So I 'Pardon' ed and cleared out.
That was the beginning of an adventure called getting lost in Paris in the dark. This was fine because after 30 minutes luckily I realised I was back at the very same 'Fruit de Mer' brasserie and decided to be sensible and retrace my steps to the Metro and then home!!!!
That's why so many Parisians use the metro because it gets you where you want to go - easier than what's on top of the ground! Haven't even ventured to describe hunting for a 'ladies' while lost.... too gruesome. So no pics for today!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment